A Tale of Pawn and Arisen
- Sam: My Master... He was a great man. He was ever-so vigilant-- filled with vigor and determination. A bit modest, but he had a pure heart.
Cristina: Hmm... Sounds like someone I know.
Sam: Hm? There are not many I have seen like my Master.
Cristina: You, silly. You sound like you just described yourself!
Sam: Described myself? ...No, I am a but a mere Pawn. Difference is obscure.
Cristina: Not as vague as you think it is! I swear, you pawns make it seem that you have no emotions or personality at all, but you really do! I mean, well, of course it is shaped by your Master... Well, you just seem to have a higher goal, you know? You're always doing what I ask and more! I couldn't ask for a better pawn...
Sam: ...My purpose... My Master's request...
Cristina: Master's request?
Sam: Yes... I remember it as clear as day...
Sam's Flashback - Sam's POV
- I was stricken with grief. My master, having been struck by the great dragon, was lying down in front of me. He was quiet, aside from the etched breathing pattern whistling from his gaping mouth. I knelt down to him, placing a hand on his arm.
- "Master..." I spoke.
- He gently opened his eyes. They rolled towards me as he coughed horrifically.
- "Master, please hold on!" My grip on his arm tightened.
- "Sam..." He spoke. "Forget about me... My time is up."
- I shook my head in defiance. "No, Master! How am I to live if my purpose of living is gone? 'Tis vanity!"
- "If not for you, I would not be here, Master. I am thankful for that. You, Master... You are what I live for, and I have failed to protect you... I am unworthy to be the pawn that you commanded... I am ashamed to have let you down!" My voice cracked with great sorrow, something that I had ne'er thought possible. As I dropped my head, releasing his arm from my grasp, I felt a cool hand on my own.
- "No, Sam," my Master wheezed. "I was the one who was unworthy... You are a great Pawn, make no doubt about that... You could have been so much more, yet I held you back."
- "Master, no! Tis folly you speak of! I've heard no greater foolishness. You should know better, Master."
- "It is naught but the truth... Do but this last favor for me, so that your purpose is wrought in stone."
- "Anything Master... What is it that you wish of me?"
- "I want you to live the life that I could not... The life that I wanted to live. I want you to find a Master who is worthy of your services, for I was weak and you could have been so much more..."
- I squinted at him, my head full of confusion. What was my Master speaking of? What did he mean by this? I was unsure of how to react.
- "Master," I started. "W... What do you mean? I do not understand..."
- He began to cough again, and when he stopped, silence filled the air for a brief moment. Then, he murmured, "Sam... I want you to choose the Arisen, not the Arisen to choose you. I want you to find someone that you would follow until the end of time itself... Tis a foolish request, I know, but Sam...I want you to find love for you and I both--the love that I yearned for, but had never found. I want you to succeed where I failed... Because I know that you are capable of doing so." He began to cough and wheeze gruelingly.
- "Master! Tis a foolish request indeed!" I yelled. "What do you hope of accomplishing, giving an unworthy pawn such as myself a task of indiscriminate--"
- He fell silent. His eyes closed, and the touch on my hand drifted to his side. There was no breeze. There was no sound. There was no warmth. I knew the inevitable had taken place. There was naught I could do.
- "Master..." I spoke, touching his arm. "Master?" I shook my head and closed my eyes fiercely. "But Master! You've not answered my most important question...! What is love!?"
Cristina's Perception - Cristina's POV
- There were so many things that I had not realized... And when Sam had told me about the request of his Master, it all occured to me that he actually was here for me...
Cristina: All right, it looks like we need a Sorcerer. I'll just head on over to the Rift Stone... Okay. I have quite a few Rift Crystals to spend, so I'll look for a level sixty-five Sorcerer... All of these look like they have good spells! Let's summon these seven!
- As I waited, I took notice of the pawns who entered. One was male, and the rest were female. Almost immediately, the guy had caught my eye. Not only was he the only one who didn't look like a provocatively dressed female, but he looked modest and determined. I made my way over to one of the Sorceresses, checked her status and declared that her magic was too low. I checked another, and her magic was again too low. I concluded to myself that I should go ahead and check out the Sorcerer, and saw that his magic was so much higher than the other two that I had checked, and immediately declared him as my new Sorcerer.
Cristina: So your name is Sam? Great! Nice to meet you Sam! I know I haven't checked the other Sorceresses, but you've got high magic and good looks, so I'll go ahead and take you along. Ready?
Sam: Yes, Arisen. I am honored to fight by your side.
- His master told him to choose the Arisen... Not for the Arisen to choose him. I didn't see the logic in that.
Cristina: Oh, hello brother of mine. You're looking for a Sorcerer, right? Sam's a really good one. You should get him!
Ryukazi: Ah? All right. Do you know his Master's name?
Cristina: ...No, I don't... But he's a level sixty-five Sorcerer. Go ahead and search up 65 male sorcerer, I'm sure he'll appear.
Ryukazi: ...I'm not seeing him.
Ryukazi: Yeah, you said he's level 65 right? What if he leveled?
Cristina: He was still 65 the last time I saw him...
Ryukazi: Well since you checked recently, I'll just look ahead in the higher levels. Maybe he leveled up, but not that far.
Cristina: You find him yet?
Ryukazi: No I don't see him at all.
Cristina: Really? Huh, that's weird
How would the pawn be able to choose the Arisen? Doesn't that tie into will? Isn't that what pawns lack? It was something I really had to think about...
Cristina: Great! I have a lot more rift crystals now. Sam, it's been great, but I'm going to go ahead and let you go now and look for a stronger Sorcerer. Ahh, I'm kind of reluctant to letting you go, but Ah, forget it! I had a lot of fun with you. I hope you think the same.
Sam: Yes, Arisen. Our time spent together was ever-so enjoyable.
Cristina: Here, take this Talisman. Bring it back to your Master, okay?
Sam: My master Y Yes I will do so.
Cristina: Hm? Oh, well Thanks again for accompanying me Sam. I'll miss you, haha
Sam: Yes, Arisen I hope to have served you adequately. May our paths cross again.
- And then, he was gone. I felt saddened, actually, like a piece of me was lost. I shook it off, returning to the rift stone to look for another Sorcerer, one that was in the 70s. When I summoned the seven of my choice, they definitely looked quite stunning. Their outfits looked great and their spells were powerful, but
Their magic seemed to be really bad. It always seemed to be in the 800s or 900s, but never near what Sam had. His was 1372, I remembered that by heart. I sat there, a hand on my chin, and marched back over to the rift stone. I placed my hand on it, feeling my previous summons, and called forth Sam. It must have been strange to have said our good-byes and to see each other almost immediately afterwards, huh?
Sam: Arisen, we meet again.
Cristina: Haha, yeah It looks like I just can't let you go yet. How would you feel coming back into my services?
Sam: I would ask for naught else.
Cristina: Sounds great! Let's go, Sam!
Sam: Arisen I am honored.
- I always checked back into the rift, giving Sam a lot of fantastic items, hoping to please his Master
But whenever I would check if Sam had gained anything in levels, he had not. He remained level 65 for quite some time, and I wondered as to why. Was his Master just lazy? Did his Master not train him? Little did I know that his Master had actually passed away
Slain by the hand of the dragon. Earlier, Luzerne had pointed out to me that the Ur-Dragon has claimed the hearts of many Arisen, as well as their lives, and that there are many, many pawns that wander the Everfall, confused, lost, and bereaved
It had occurred to me that Sam was one of those pawns. His Master, gone, and he was all alone, clinging on to the last remains of his Masterthe request he had given Sam. Because of his deprivation due to the death of his Master, I was opted to show him the warmth and care that he needed. Most of the time I found myself giving Luzerne less attention to make sure Sam wasn't sulking on the inside. He was a quiet one indeed
He was certainly determined, however, stricken by the fact that he wasn't strong enough to protect his Master. In result, he never left my side.
Cristina: A-Agh Tired, out of stamina, must rest
Sam: Hold on! Are you all right, Arisen?
Cristina: Ah, thank you Sam CHAARGE! G-Grah! F Out of stamina again Tired Must rest
Sam: Please don't overdo it.
Cristina: But these creatures! Theymustdie! Grrr Ah, though, you are right Slinging so many magical arrows is energy-consuming. I don't want to wear myself out to the point where I can't walk
Sam: Don't worry. I am here.
Cristina: Sam? Haha, you're right again. I'll take your word for it.
Luzerne: There Master, wyvern!
Cristina: Hm This will be tough indeed, but hold nothing back!
Sam: Arisen, I am at your side.
Cristina: Huh? Oh, Sam
Cristina: Grr! I need more healing items! Get out of my way, stupid Grimgoblins! Hah, that'll teach you to mess with me Though Really need to go to an innmy health is really low
Sam: This will restore a bit of health.
Cristina: Whoa, what? And suddenly, I feel greatly refreshed Sam, what did you just use? You don't even have any group healing items How did you just heal like All of my health?
Cristina: Damn you gore-chimera!
Selena: Stay out of the ring! It will kill you!
Cristina: The ring? U-Urgh! Nnngh
Selena: Open your eyes!
Luzerne: Stay with me!
Sam: No No!!!
Cristina: Don't worry guys 'Tis not my time yet I've still Wakestones to use
Sam: Ah Master, you're back!
Luzerne: 'Tis naught to be ashamed of!
Cristina: Haha Now, let's show this Gore-Chimera who we are!
Cristina: This Sorcerer stuff is tricky! But I definitely like these destructive spells! Hah! Let's try out Fulmination!
Sam: I'll combine my magic with yours!
Cristina: Huh? Sam? Ah! Right! Let's do this together! Two is better than one, right?
Cristina: You know, I'm going to be sad when this is all over-- This adventuring around and Arisen stuff.
Sam: Indeed. Lucky is the pawn able to fight by the Arisen's side. I am thankful.
Cristina: I'm sure you've fought alongside other Arisen. I'm not special.
Sam: Mm. Just being by your side fills this pawn with vigor.
Cristina: Haha, oh Sam... Stop flattering me! You're gonna make me blush....
- More often than so, he would walk to my side while Selena and Luzerne fought up-close. I would be away, slinging my magical arrows, and then I would notice him by my side. Even when I would walk to the other side of the field, shortly after, I would find him right with me. Sometimes I would even think that he was human
that he was simply adorable. To hear him comment about certain things, to see him learning more and more about the expressions of humans
I would just look at him and then feel a weird sensation
I would be smiling and not even notice it.
Sam: What a sweet, delicious aroma!
Cristina: Apple pie! You want to try it?
Sam: Oh, I need not to. The aroma is simply satisfying.
Cristina: Here! Try it anyways!
Sam: Mm Mhm!
Cristina: You like it?
Sam: Yes, it is very delicious.
Cristina: Do you want more?
Sam: There is no need, Arisen I
Cristina: Ah, rise and shine!
Luzerne: Master! I brought this back for you. I've also learned a new way to fight their ilk!
Cristina: Oh, that's good
Sam: So many beds!
Cristina: Hahahaha, Sam! Yes, there're a lot of beds
Selena: Harpies will snatch you and fly!
Luzerne: Don't let it grab ahold of you!
Cristina: Argh! Come here, you! Whoa-whoa-whoa! A bit too high! Help!
Sam: I'm on my way!
Cristina: Aaaahhh! Falling!
Sam: Don't worry, I have you!
Cristina: OH, um Thanks Sam Ha..ha, uh, you know what? Can you hold me a little longer? I'm uh Still feeling a bit shaky... Ahem Mhm
Sam: As you wish, Arisen.
Sam: An ogre Oh, of all the poor luck!
Cristina: Hah, don't fret Sam! This'll be easy!
Cristina: Hm? What's that? A drake!
Sam: Leave it to us!
Cristina: Yeah right! I want to fight, too!
Sam: With fire's blaze Agh
Cristina: Sam! Are you okay? Here, let me help you.
- Our adventures together continue and our bond strengthens. For now that I know of the grief Sam had been stricken by, I will never let him go nor let him down, because I'm not the one who chose him
He's the one who chose me.